Sunday, October 20, 2013

"...after three hundred thousand years, we'd really stunk up the place."


Hinterkind #1
"Once Upon A Time... Chapter One"
Writer: Ian Edginton
Artist: Francesco Trifogli
October 2013
Vertigo Comics

This is a post-apocalyptic story that isn't so much concerned with the Earth having been destroyed but more so about the repercussions such an event would have on humanity and how people would react in such a state. "Seven months from the top of the food chain to endangered species." The book is an allegory of sorts for how destructive and savage a species humans are, and I have to say that I dug it a lot. Similarly to Grindhouse #1 (the review I posted yesterday), I have no prior experience or knowledge of the creators involved, so that type of bias is completely out of my brain with this book. I enjoyed it immensely last night, and while I think it's a better than average book, I'm not really sure what I think at the moment. Perhaps the beer I drank last night had something to do with my initial opinion... Or perhaps my current fatigue and acheyness are negatively influencing my judgement. Whatever the case, I feel that having read only one issue is insufficient in judging whether this is a fantastic series or not.

The Positives: The characterization is above average. I like the fact the protagonist is a female who has yet to be sexualized. The world building in the art department is nailed in this issue. Scenes are crafted with full environments and there is often a lot going on in the background. There are lush colours throughout and the palate screams mother nature. Greens and blues abound (take that industrialization!). There are several literary allusions I noticed. The first one is of a broken statue of Alice and friends from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland that takes up a medium-sized panel. The text that accompanies it may be related to the book but I've only read it once and am not well-versed enough to know whether it's a quote or not. The second reference occurs when Prosper Monday is talking with her grandfather Asa about tagging along with him on his journey to the mysteriously dangerous Albany (oh my!). Prosper says "I'm not some dopy Eloi, I can handle myself!" Asa even congratulates her for the reference! (but I won't tell you what comes of their conversation).

Hinterkind #1 was a nice change from the standard superhero fare I've been getting sick of in (most) mainstream comics. The story becomes a little actiony at the end (which is okay given all the exposition and world building that takes up most of the book) and introduces elements that change the tone of the first half of the book. I'm not sure if I like these additions or not, but I'll find out next month when they're fleshed out more in issue #2.

The Negatives:
I'm about to sound like a cracked glass cup. The art. There isn't much wrong with it. There are a few frames that could have been detailed a bit more or certain faces could have been touched up a bit, but other than that it looks alright. That's my problem with it: it looks too plain. It kind of reminds me of the Sandman interior art from the first three volumes I've read. Neither this book nor the Sandman artwork do much for me unfortunately. Yes the artist(s) create a well established world and they have my deep respect for that, but the art style itself doesn't grab me. It's not so much that I'm bitter towards it but rather that I'd prefer if someone else drew the book. I've risked sounding like an asshole for the chance to be honest.

In the story department my only complaint is the last few pages when something that I've already mentioned happens. At the moment I'm iffy but I'm willing to see things through to next month. The creative team seems confident in their ideas so I'm going to do my best to remain that way as well.

So far, so good. (So what?!). Make me want to come back next month gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment