Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bedlam #2

Bedlam #2
"Chapter Two: Everybody Wins"
Writer: Nick Spencer
Artist: Riley Rossmo
November 2012
Image Comics


Bedlam #2 digs deeper into the relationship between Fillmore Press (aka Madder Red) and "The Doctor." The story also enters some unfamiliar terrain in the opening pages, laying out the premise for what appears to be the first serial killer that Fillmore will attempt to apprehend. Detective Acevedo and her boss (unsure of his name) also make some progress by listening to the recorded call that Fillmore made back in the first issue. They believe that they have found the suspect responsible for all the recent murders that have been occurring in Bedlam and await to hear from him again. Luckily, they only have to wait until the next issue for that to happen.

The issue begins with a reunion of old friends who apparently entered AA or some form of rehabilitation together during a previous time. At any rate, what really matters about this scene is the tension that is built around the character known thus far as "Eric." He is a mysterious character who we soon find out is not all he's made out to seem. He appears friendly at first (striking up a conversation with his old buddy, and then inviting him to have a cup of coffee), but shortly shifts to being quite the opposite. There is a wonderfully disturbing splash page of Eric and Danny (the unfortunate friend who has now become the victim) in which we see Eric's true colours. I won't entirely spoil what is on the page, but it's not a pretty picture.

The story then shifts to Fillmore Press, and deals with both his present circumstance as well as his encounter with the good Doctor ten years prior. The layout of the next two pages alternates from one panel in the present, to the next in the past, contrasting the two different time frames until they meet up shortly hereafter. The reader discovers that the Doctor played a few mind games with our protagonist/anti-hero Fillmore back when he was presenting himself as Madder Red, and boy oh boy, it leads to quite the psychedelic double page splash. It's hard to tell exactly what is going on here, but it seems as though the Doctor is manipulating Fillmore and really getting inside his head (I had to say it...). But seriously, I can't tell exactly what is going on, and I think that's great. The mystery this series is creating is astounding.

Fillmore wakes up from a nightmare of sorts, to find the Doctor and his lovely assistants in his apartment. They have a lovely chat about what Fillmore has been up to, and how he should learn to be more careful so as to not get himself shot every time he tries to do a good deed. We learn that the Doctor instills an element of fear in Fillmore and that this is the one person who seems to scare him. I can only imagine bad things to come in future issues... So after clearing things up with Fillmore, the Doctor and his team leave Fillmore to continue his path of redemption. The reader gets one more glimpse of Madder Red's tarnished past, and he awakes to find himself in a bed alone, and screams out in what I can only imagine is pure terror. The story shifts back to the present again, and Fillmore hears a police siren outside. So what does he do? He leaves his apartment, follows the sounds of the sirens, and turns himself in to the police! What a case of risky business.

The artwork and storytelling in this series are both unique and work very well together. Sympathizing with an ex-serial killer is kind of a crazy thing to do (okay it totally is), but Nick Spencer, Riley Rossmo, et al. make it perfectly okay to do so. Bedlam is definitely in my top five favourites list, and I can't wait to find out what happens next (I named my freaking blog after the titular character of this series for crying out loud!). This series is reaching the top of my pile with each issue that comes out. Hurray for great independent comics! (Hurray!)


Story: 4
Art: 4


P.S.!

Here is the variant cover for this issue. I posted this way back when I started this blog, and it seemed appropriate to repost it right here, right now. Apparently this is an exclusive variant, as my LCS (which is a highly reputable one I might add) said that they had never heard of it. I looked it up on Comic Vine and apparently it's a "Phantom Variant." Not sure what that means, but long story short, I wasn't able to acquire this variant cover. I forgot to mention how madly in love I am with it. It is modeled after an image of the Joker from Moore/Bolland's "The Killing Joke," which is my all-time FAVOURITE comic ever. Both my favourite Batman comic and favourite comic book ever in existence. I like TKJ even more than Watchmen :/.

I'm still a little sad that I couldn't nab a copy of this gorgeous issue, but oh well. On the bright side, at least I can stare at it all I like on my computer screen... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment