Saturday, February 23, 2013

Justice League #17

Justice League #17
"Throne of Atlantis: Chapter Five (Conclusion)"
Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Ivan Reis
February 2013
DC Comics


This is the end of the fourth arc for this volume of the Justice League, and I've got to hand it to the new creative team for revamping my interest in the series. Ever since I heard about JL crossing over with Aquaman, I was actually fairly excited. I had stopped reading Aquaman for quite some time but was interested to give the character another chance. Let's just say, I've enjoyed this Atlantis-central story so much that I picked up all of the remaining Aquaman issues from my LCS... it was that much fun! Both JL and Aquaman have been great for the past couple of months, and I'm really excited to read both post-Throne of Atlantis. Anywho, let me get to why I enjoyed this arc/conclusing issue so much.

Justice League #17 feels very much like a bombastic superhero action film, and I mean that in the best way possible. This issue is action heavy but it doesn't solely rely on that to make it so satisfying. There are a few splash pages and double splashes, in which LOTS of individual battles are occurring. It's a lot to take in all at once, but upon rereading, it is rather enjoyable to examine all the little background fighting going on amongst the Trench creatures and the Atlanteans. There are also more intimate moments between Arthur and his brother Orm (aka The Ocean Master), in which their final showdown occurs. There are two pages that tie for my favourite splash page and the first one includes the Justice League booming onto the scene via Cyborg's boom tube contraption: the team looks so epic and ready for business. Ivan Reis' pencils and Joe Prado's inks are so luscious and extremely detailed. Not to put down Jim Lee or Tony Daniel, but I much prefer Ivan Reis as the penciller for this series. I certainly hope he stays for many issues to come! And the second splash page that really struck a chord with me is the one where Aquaman shouts out "I am your KING." There's so much intense imagery in this shot, from the lightning bolt striking the city and the frozen tidal wave in the background, to the harsh rain beating down against Aquaman and his fellow Atlanteans. Ugh, it's so beautiful!

The team develops their bond even further in this issue, and I've really been enjoying all the character building within the entire arc. From seeing Superman and Wonder Woman teaming up, to Cyborg saving the team, and to Batman and Aquaman finally putting their prides aside and working together, Geoff Johns has thoroughly captured my attention and created a team book in which the characters actually work together as a family unit. The march toward The Trinity War is coming, and I couldn't be more excited for it.


Story: 4.5
Art: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment